The 5 Whys:
Identifying Root Causes through Repeated Questioning
Root cause analysis is an important step in problem-solving, as it helps to identify and address the underlying causes of problems in order to prevent reoccurrence. The 5 Whys technique is a simple yet powerful tool for identifying root causes through repeated questioning. This workshop aims to introduce participants to the 5 Whys technique and provide examples of how to apply it in a work setting.
- To understand the 5 Whys technique and how to apply it in a work setting
- To learn the steps of the 5 Whys technique (identifying a problem, asking “Why?” repeatedly, identifying root causes)
- To practice applying the 5 Whys technique to real-world scenarios
- To learn the benefits of using the 5 Whys technique for root cause analysis
- Definition and importance of root cause analysis
- The 5 Whys technique and its steps (identifying a problem, asking “Why?” repeatedly, identifying root causes)
- Examples of how to apply the 5 Whys technique in a work setting
- Benefits of using the 5 Whys technique for root cause analysis
This workshop will include a mix of lectures, group discussions, and practical exercises. Participants will have the opportunity to practice applying the 5 Whys technique to real-world scenarios and receive feedback on their root cause analysis skills.
This workshop will include both theoretical and practical elements, with lectures on the concepts of the 5 Whys technique and practical exercises to apply these concepts to identify root causes using this simple yet powerful tool
included in 90-min, Half Day & Full Day sessions
- Group 5 Whys activity
- Individual 5 Whys exercise
(included in Half-Day and Full Day sessions)
- The 7-step problem-solving process
- The 3-step 5 Whys process
Participants will learn how to apply the 5 Whys technique to their work setting, including how to use it for root cause analysis. They will also learn the benefits of using the 5 Whys technique in a work setting.
At the end of this workshop, participants will have a deeper understanding of the 5 Whys technique and will have learned how to apply it in a work setting for root cause analysis. They will have had the opportunity to practice and improve their root cause analysis skills, and will have learned the benefits of using the 5 Whys technique in a work setting. They will be equipped with the skills and knowledge to continue using the 5 Whys technique for root cause analysis in their work setting in the future.